History of Lodge Maui
In 1872 the 3rd. Lodge of Free Masons in Hawaii was chartered on Maui, by
the Grand Lodge of California, it was called Maui Lodge No. 223, with 10
members, which met in a building at Main & High Streets in Wailuku.
The members were: George B. Whipple, Worshipful Master; Daniel F. Sanford,
Senior Warden; George Miller, Junior Warden; Eugene Bal, Treasurer; Eben
B. Tallant, Secretary; Marcellus E. Newton, Senior Deacon; Christopher
Farden, Junior Deacon; Sam E. Ford, Tyler.
November 17, 1877 the lodge was forced to give up its charter due to the
hardship of travel, plus some members had moved, the remaining members did
not give up Masonry, but affiliated with Hawaiian Lodge # 21, in Honolulu.
The desire for companionship and association among the Masons of Maui
persisted through the years. Then on May 24, 1904, fourteen (14) Master
Masons from ten (10) different Lodges and eight (8) jurisdictions gathered
at the home of Dr. Dinegar on invitations to discuss the wisdom of
establishing a Masonic Lodge again on the island of Maui. Some opposition
was advanced to the organization of a Lodge in view of previous failures.
But, the final decision was made to try. Assuming that a dispensation
would be forthcoming from some source.
A communication was sent to the Grand Lodge of California. Which received
an indifferent response. Then a letter was sent to Mr. Henry Cooper,
Acting District Grand Master in Honolulu regarding affiliation with the
Grand Lodge of Scotland. On August 7, 1904, a ballot was taken whether to
seek affiliation with California Grand Lodge, or the Grand Lodge of
Scotland. On account of the cold reception from the Grand Lodge of
California, the latter jurisdiction was chosen.
Of those instrumental in forming the new lodge, not one could have
conferred a degree, or open or close a lodge credibly. Instructions on
Masonic Law and Ritualistic work was imperative. R.W.M. John Kidwell for
Pacific Lodge #822 under the Grand Lodge of Scotland, (this Lodge later
became Honolulu # 409, under the Grand Lodge of California.) performed
this service. It occupied more than six (6) weeks, devoted entirely to
Masonic work. The Lodge furniture, jewels were selected and purchases were
authorized. It is noteworthy that the same alter and furniture now graces
our Lodge Room.
September 22, 1904 was a memorable day for the new Lodge. The Knights of
Pythias Hall in Wailuku had been secured as a meeting place and
Installation Ceremonies were held. The expected dispensation had been
received and the Right Worshipful Henry Cooper, Acting Grand Master of the
Territory of Hawaii, convened the Grand Lodge of Scotland, at Wailuku Hall
for the purpose of consecration Lodge Maui # 984 F. & A. M.
Lodge was opened on the First Degree, passed to Second Degree, and raised
to the Third Degree and reverted to the First Degree for the purpose of
installing the officers.
The Officers installed were:
Robert H. Dinegar, R.W. Master,
Donald Francis Nicholson, Deputy Master
James Scott, Substitute Master,
Auwae Noa Kepoikai, Senior Warden
Daniel Hebard Case, Junior Warden
Victor L. Boeck, Secretary
William Tate Robinson, Treasurer
Weight, Senior Deacon
Charles E. Copeland, Junior Deacon
Maxmillian Eckart, Inner Guard
George Scott, Tyler
The first Stated Meeting of Lodge Maui # 984 U.D., was held September 24,
1904, with ten (10) members and seventeen (17) visitors present. On
October 10, 1918, The Grand Lodge of California issued a Charter to Lodge
Maui # 472. However, it was not until December 4, 1918 the First Stated
Meeting was held under Grand Lodge of California jurisdiction. Where the
Lodge remained until May 20, 1989.
On May 20, 1989, all Masonic Lodges in Hawaii, came under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of Hawaii. The Lodge is now known as: Lodge Maui F. & A. M.
Much of this information came from
Worshipful Brother Arthur B. Brown, Past Master Lodge Maui #472 (1925)